Tuesday 23 September 2008

Open ciabatta sandwich with eggs and smoked salmon.

Now I think this looks pretty 'gourmet-esque' - I'm sure you're pay a lot of money for it in Harvey Nicks - especially as it's garnished with rocket - always a way to add to a price tag!

But it's basically an egg and tomato sandwich!

The original receipe used Mozzarella cheese, but as always I wanted the dish to be as low fat as possible - and as cheap as possible. So I used hard boiled eggs (hey - when they're cut into slices they look the same, sideways on!)

Simply cut a ciabatta roll in half, or slice a ciabatta loaf (97p from my local bakery, £1.55 in the trendy deli down the road) longways, and spread one side with light mayonnaise. (I use the extra light stuff.) Butter the other side, or leave it dry if you wish. Then simply add a layer of sliced hard boiled egg, followed by slices of large beef tomato. And top with thin slithers of Smoked Salmon (or smoked wafer thin ham if you're on a particularly tight budget, but I got enough salmon to do this for 4 people for £2). Add rocket and poppy seeds to garnish and serve with dressed little gem leaves.

Prep time: About 3 minutes once the eggs are boiled and shelled.
Cost: Cheaper than eggs benedict in a bistro.

No comments: