Tuesday 23 September 2008

Elaborate Banana Split.


What could be simplier - or tastier - than a good ol' banana split?!

And the joy of this dish is, you can just add in what you've got around - you don't have to buy special ingredients (well - except for bananas and ice cream; kinda essential those two!).

I simply slices a banana length wise, put 2 scoopes of vanilla ice cream between the 2 halves, filled in around the ice cream with a selection of berries. I had some frozen ones already 'in stock'. I then covered the bananas with (low fat) whippy cream, and drizzled maple flavoured golden syrup (from the cupboard) and chocolate sauce over the top. The chocolate sauce was some left over chocolate cream filling I had made at the weekend for a birthday cake - butter, dark chocolate and caster sugar blended together - I heated it up again tonight to make it runny. Ok - so the chocolate sauce means this isn't the healthiest of recipes - but hey, I didn't coat the dish with chocolate!

I then topped it off with some fresh strawberries I picked up at the green grocers earlier, and grated some brazil nuts - well 1 brazil nut - my boyfriend bought last week over the top (they added a really nice flavour - good use of a stock item there I think!).

This might be a simple dish - but if you pile on enough cream and sauce, you'll get an astounding response from anyone you serve it up to!

No comments: